Message sent from:


As part of the Children and Families Act 2014, Local Authorities are required to publish a ‘SEN Local Offer’ which sets out the support that is available for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities within this area.  As part of this Local Offer, schools are required to publish a report detailing the identification and assessment arrangements and the support and provision available for children with SEN/D.   

All of the schools in the Eko trust are supported by Newham’s SEN dept to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Education Needs and Disabilities being met in the mainstream setting wherever possible. Our aim is to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

The four broad areas of need are:

  • Communication and Interaction,
  • Cognition and Learning,
  • Emotional and Mental Health, 
  • Sensory and/or Physical Needs.

What does a Senco do?

The SENCo at Earlham Primary is Mrs Kay Harney.  She is responsible for:-

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy
  • Co-ordinating support for children with special education needs or disabilities
  • Ensuring that you are fully involved in the support plan process by keeping you
  • informed about the support and intervention your child is receiving.
  • Liaising with outside agencies to help with your child’s support. These include:\
    • Speech and Language Therapy
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Physiotherapy
    • Educational Psychology
    • Child Development Centre
    • Behaviour Support Services
    • Child and Family Consultation Service
    • Complex Needs and Dyslexia Service
    • Language, Communication and Interaction Service

Updating the school’s Special Education Needs register (a system for ensuring that all special education needs of children are recognised and recorded). Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school.

Who should I talk to about my child’s learning difficulties and/or Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?

We pride ourselves on building strong parental partnerships with parents and carers.  We are open and honest with our parents and hope that they are able to be the same with us. If you have concerns about your child’s learning or progress, you should initially speak to your child’s class teacher.

If you continue to have concerns about your child, you can speak to Mrs Kay Harney, our Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENCo) by making an appointment at the office or by contacting her via email - earlhamsenco@ekotrust.org.uk

Hit enter to search